Thursday, March 6, 2008

Top 8 Girls on Idol

It's still the '80s. I heard someone say there will be a lot of Paula Abdul songs tonight. My guess is ... not so much.

Asia'h Epperson
Song: I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)
The panel: Randy said it was hot and she proved she should be here. He recorded that song with Whitney. Paula said she's picking big songs and doing them well. You nailed it! Simon is not so enthusiastic, saying at best it was second-rate Whitney Houston. Randy and Paula disagreed.
I think: A crappy song, but she sang it well.

Kady Malloy
Song: Who Wants to Live Forever
The panel: Randy said Queen is really hard to sing but she did the big notes well. The small ones, not so much. Paula said to date it was her best performance. She also disagreed with Randy. Simon said it was definitely better than last week and he said she has a massive lack of personality. He called her a Stepford Wife (hee!), and said she may be in trouble.
I think: Another boring ballad, but she also nailed it.

Amanda Overmyer
Song: I Hate Myself for Loving You
The panel: Randy said this is the Amanda we remember and this is the kind of music she should be picking. "Well done, baby!" Paula said she looked beautiful, and she found her niche. Simon said it was fantastic and she absolutely nailed the song. It was one of his favorite performances of this part of the competition.
I think: She is much, much better this week, but she looks oddly distracted during the judging. Still, the girls are kickin' ass!

Carly Smithson
Song: I Drove All Night
The panel: Randy said he loved it, dude (?). He called her dude repeatedly. Paula said she is the dependable "dawg," and she looks relaxed and her singing is indescribable. Simon said she chose the wrong song, and he can't get away from the Celine version, and it's not a great song that gives her what she deserves.
I think: I honestly cannot believe how good the girls are tonight. Another great performance!

Kristy Lee Cook
Song: Faithfully
The panel: Randy said Journey is very dear to his heart, but she put a country kind of lilt to it and it would be a good single. Paula said it could be a hit, too, and she looks great. Simon said it was good that she used the country influence but she is still forgettable.
I think: When she was 7, she acted like a dog. For a year! Weird. I know they are suddenly "cool," but I have always and always will hate Journey. She has been the weakest of the night.

Ramiele Malubay
Song: Against All Odds
The panel: Randy said it was a big song with big vocals, but she is still thinking too much instead of letting go. Paula said she has such a beautiful face and went off on this weird tangent about mutts. She then pulled it together and said she deserves to be in the top 12. Simon said because she was little and cute it was good, but he found the whole thing predictable.
I think: I love her, but this did not blow me away. It was aight, a little screechy. Plus she looks a little frumpy. How did they make her look frumpy? She's so adorable!

Brooke White
Song: Love is a Battlefield
The panel: Randy said it was very interesting but didn't really bring anything new to the song. Paula said it was a wise choice and it was pure. Simon said it worked because she made it her own.
I think: Pat Benatar is a tall order, I should think, but she did well. I do like her hair better curly, which I guess doesn't really mean anything, but just sayin'.

Syesha Mercado
Song: Saving All My Love for You
The panel: Randy said "good!" Paula said it was sophisticated. Simon said "predictable but good."
I think: I think, as the others, she did well, but I wonder why they chose such boring songs, with few exceptions. I remember the '80s as fun.

Best of the best of the best, sir!: Amanda, Carly, Brooke, Syesha

No comments: