Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Idol Top 8 Guys

It's '80s night for the top eight guys. Boy, Ryan loves talking about that new set.

Luke Menard
Song: Wake Me Up Before You Go Go
The panel: Randy said it started off rough but he pulled it together. Paula said she was surprised he picked the song but she thought he did well with it. Simon said it was weak and "girly" (hee) and there is no way he will make it to the top 12.
I think: I love this song, but he blew it. How is he still on? (I write these during the singing, and it shocks me how often Simon and I agree.)

David Archuleta
Song: Another Day in Paradise
The panel: Randy said it was nice and wondered again about the song choice. Paula said there were a couple notes that were off and it made her feel he wasn't perfect, and that is refreshing. Simon said it wasn't as good as last week. He said it's getting a little gloomy and it's time to lighten up a bit. (David said he wanted to focus on the plight of the homeless. His parents raised him right.)
I think: He looks and sounds more mature this week, which helps us to envision him as a pop star. He plays the piano, too! He is a force to be reckoned with.

Danny Noriega
Song: Tainted Love
The panel: Randy said it started off rough but he was more confident in the end. He also liked the arrangement. Paula said he is a bright light in the competition, that he is sensitive and spicy. Simon said it was horrible and he hated everything about it. (Danny yelled "whatever!" I do love his attitude.)
I think: Ack! Another one of my all-time favorite songs. He overdid it in my opinion, but he looked and sounded more natural than he has before. The guys are having fun. (Simon and I are at odds here.)

David Hernandez
Song: It's All Coming Back to Me Now
The panel: Randy said it was a nice song choice for him, because it was a big song. Paula said he is finding his niche and is one of the best vocalists. Simon said he didn't like it as much as last week but he's definitely in the top 12 with this.
I think: Euw! It's the gay stripper! (Allegedly.) Even before I heard that, I did not like him. Not a lot of masculine singing tonight.

Michael Johns
Song: Don't You (Forget About Me)
The panel: Randy loved it and said it was the right song for him. (He also said "you remind me of Michael Hutchence," who, it should be pointed out, did not sing this song.) Paula said she is defining himself and showed off his low range. Simon said he liked but didn't love it and he hasn't connected with the right song.
I think: He's off tonight. Still, I like him, and hope he will coast on his previous performances.

David Cook
Song: Hello
The panel: Randy said he loved that it was an emo version of a Lionel Ritchie song. Paula said she loves him because it was a surprise and would be a hit today. Simon said it was a very brave thing to do and he loved it. He liked that it was risky.
I think: Why is he playing an electric guitar while singing Lionel Ritchie? It's so weird!

Jason Castro
Song: Hallelujah
The panel: Randy said it was a great song and challenging as well. Paula said he showed vulnerability, and she likes his uniqueness. Simon said the Jeff Buckley version is one of his all-time favorite songs. (No pressure, yikes!) He said it was brilliant and it was his strongest performance so far.
I think: I love the song and I thought he was great doing it.

Chikezie
Song: All the Woman I Need
The panel: Randy said he thought it was an interesting song choice but he was surprisingly good. Paula said she was waiting for something up tempo. Simon said it didn't work at all.
I think: He's really pulled it together after that terrible orange suit a few weeks ago.

The best of the best of the best, sir!: David Cook (especially compared to the rest of the guys tonight), Jason Castro (again!), Chikezie

No comments: