Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Top 12 make John Lennon roll in his gave

I have dreaded this night ever since I heard this was possible. THIS ... is American Idol, and THESE used to be beloved classic songs. The best quote I ever heard about this subject was on "The Simpsons": Milhouse: Who are the Beatles? Bart: They're ones on all of Maggie's baby records. My problem is I rarely can ever tolerate another person's version of a Beatles song.

Oh, and the stupid new stage. Whee.... The wait is over? Oh, Ryan. Just when I start to tolerate you, you say something like that.

Syesha Mercado
Song: Got to Get You into My Life
Yo! Judge Judy!: Randy said it was nice arrangement, it started rough (again with the pitchy), but it got better. Paula agrees it started out pitched, but she pulled it together and she was just Syesha. Simon said it was better than all right, but she looked nervous.
I think: My husband say this Earth, Wind and Fire's version. It sounds like Vegas lounge singer.

Chikezie
Song: She's a Woman
Yo! Judge Judy!: Randy said he was thoroughly entertained, loved the whole arrangement. Chikezie smashed it! Paula said it was a great example of changing it up, and she has been waiting for this. Simon said he's really surprised that he agrees with "these two." He said he controlled the stage. Then Ryan totally spazzed on him. It was cute in a Seacrest kind of way.
I think: We learn that Paula is a good traveler, from the ex-TSA employee. Yikes. The fiddlers was a great idea; this was hot, as Randy would say.

Ramiele Malubay
Song: In My Life
Yo! Judge Judy!: Randy said it was kind of pretty but it was kind of pretty boring. Paula said she looks lovely (this never seems like a good thing to lead off with), but it was pretty safe and she could have done more with it. Simon said he was bored to tears throughout the entire song. Sorry!
I think: She hits all the notes, but it's boring. It's totally Disney soundtrack.

Jason Castro
Song: If I Fell
Yo! Judge Judy!: Randy said he liked but didn't love it. He felt the switches in the melody didn't work. Paula said she disagreed, she loved it. She said he makes it better by putting his heart into it. Simon said it was all a bit "student in a bedroom at midnight."
I think: The guitar is back. This is very weak for him; he's having trouble hitting notes.

Carly Smithson
Song: Come Together
Yo! Judge Judy!: Randy said she obviously felt comfortable and it was a stellar performance. Paula said she already looks like a star. Simon said he felt she had chosen the wrong song every week up 'til now. It reminds him of Kelly Clarkson.
I think: She said she was going to change it up but it sounds pretty routine to me. She's OK.

David Cook
Song: Eleanor Rigby
Yo! Judge Judy!: Randy said this proved you can rock out on "Idol." Paula said he is the dark horse. Simon said he thought it was brilliant, and for two weeks in a row he has done great. He thinks he could win.
I think: Another different arrangement, but no guitar this time. I like it. But I hate his jacket.

Brooke White
Song: Let it Be
Yo! Judge Judy!: Randy said what he likes about her is he could picture her practicing that song as a child, but wasn't her strongest performance. Paula said her niche is picking emotional songs, and it makes people fall in love with her. Simon said it was one of the best performances of the night, brilliant song choice, and it was believeable.
I think: I really love this song, and I have to say she's not doing much with it. She is playing the piano, but so what?

David Hernandez
Song: I Saw Her Standing There
Yo! Judge Judy!: Randy said he overdid it on such a simple song. Paula said she loves his voice, but he overdid it this time, too. Simon said "no, no, no" and it was corny verging on desperate. And it wasn't cool.
I think: He used to work at a pizza bistro, hmm, is that what they are calling that now? He sounds like total karaoke to me. I just don't get his appeal, though he is very gracious about his feedback.

Amanda Overmyer
Song: You Can't Do That
Yo! Judge Judy!: Randy said she made the song her own. Paula said she having more fun, and she blown away. Simon said he didn't think it was as good as last week, and it got a little bit shouty. He still considers her a breath of fresh air.
I think: As far as I am concerned, she is already on borrowed time. She's not doing that much with this.

Michael Johns
Song: Across the Universe
Yo! Judge Judy!: Randy said it was a little sleepy, but it was aight. Paula said it takes an inner strength to sing on a bare stage, and it was brilliant. Simon said it was boring and that "the Irish girl" did better. Hee. It's amazing he never knows anyone's name or any of the songs.
I think: It's a pretty good song, but again, not doing enough with it.

Kristy Lee Cook
Song: Eight Days a Week
Yo! Judge Judy!: Randy said it was kind of wild for him, but vocally she was trying to force some runs into it. Paula said she didn't enjoy it because she didn't get it. Simon said it was horrendous, because she sounded like "Dolly Parton on helium." It was brave but foolish.
I think: I don't hate it. My husband thinks there should be a stagecoach race going on.

David Archuleta
Song: We Can Work it Out
Yo! Judge Judy!: Randy said it was not on point and it is not his vibe. It felt forced. Paula said it wasn't his best week, and he forgot the lyrics. Simon said it was a mess, he forgot the lyrics, and it was all over the place.
I think: Lite FM. David stumbles!

Chikezie blew everyone else out of the water tonight.

No comments: