Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Neil Diamond, explaining how he wrote his songs

Remember that, on "SNL"? Anyway, it's not true. He's just torturing remaining five on "American Idol."

OK, I hate this structure, everyone sings one song, then the next one. So I am going to put up here that I totally agreed with Simon's assessment after the first song - top 5 contenders should be doing better than this. And how about Paula rating both songs? How whacked out is this woman?

Jason Castro
Songs: "Forever in Blue Jeans" and "September Morn"
See no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil said: Randy said it was OK and he doesn't know what's happening tonight. Paula wants him to get out of his comfort zone. Simon said he hasn't recognized him in two weeks and he hasn't put any of himself into it.
I think: OK, the first song is almost over and I can't think of anything to say. That doesn't seem good. I didn't like how he switched key back and forth. The second song, Dullsville!

David Cook
Songs: "I'm Alive" and "All I Really Need is You"
See no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil said: Randy said he's a huge David Cook fan and it was blazin'. Paula said he picked lesser known songs and was the only one who pulled it off. Simon said, first song OK, second song brilliant.
I think: In "Alive," he sounds like Neil Diamond, and the song is OK. "All I Really Need" was much better, because he perked up a little.

Brooke White
Songs: "I'm a Believer" and "I Am I Said"
See no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil said: Randy said "I Am" is a difficult song to sing and she did a nice job. Paula said it showed her vulnerability and she recovered from the first song. Simon said she really really hated the first one but "this is the Brooke we like."
I think: She's singing too low, and the band is too loud. Simon said it was a nightmare, and I'm with him. I hate "I Am I Said" because of the thing with the chair not hearing him. (If it did hear you, dude, you would be in trouble.) Plus he told her to sing Arizona instead of New York and she realized when she sang "coasts" it didn't work.

David Archuleta
Songs: "Sweet Caroline" and "America"
See no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil said: Randy said "for a young man you are in the zone." Paula said she loves him and he is brilliant. Have fun! Simon said it was clever and the right choice.
I think: He's all over the place. I think this is bad. There is something about his voice that really bugs me sometimes, and tonight it's all I hear.

Syesha Mercado
Songs: "Hello Again" and "Thank the Lord for the Nighttime"
See no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil said: Randy said she is finally realizing who she is and doing well. Paula said she was vulnerable in the first and the second showcased her performance ability. Simon said this is officially the strangest show they've ever done. He also thinks she's in trouble tonight.
I think: Well, that makes everyone sucking so far tonight. These songs must be hard to sing because I think everyone is botching them. She did much better on the second one; I think she was second best for the night after David Cook.

No comments: