Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"American Idol" top 7

Mariah Carey is the mentor tonight. She has sold more songs than Elvis, which is just so incredibly wrong. I have always said Mariah is the ultimate "American Idol" inspiration. She oversings everything and lives this fabulous life. She starts out telling the top 7 how she is not a diva. Nice try.

David Archuleta
Song: When You Believe
Gossip Girl says: Randy said "you can sing anything! That was the bomb, baby!" Paula said she thinks Mariah was proud of him. Simon said he would have bet a million dollars he would do that song, and he did a good job. He also said "I have a feeling there aren't going to be a lot of laughs tonight" (which I found hilarious).
I think: She tells him to use more range in his voice. Shocker. I think he sounds ridiculous.

Carly Smithson
Song: Without You
Gossip Girl says: Randy said he likes that she challenged herself, but he thought she sounded unsure of herself in the beginning. Paula liked that she showed some vocal restraint (hee!) and it made her sound good. Simon said he looked forward to her singing this song and he thought she didn't pull it off, and he pulled back too much in the end.
I think: Can I just say she looks great tonight? (She. Covered. Up. the. Tattoo.) She says how much everyone misses Michael. She sounds pretty good tonight, too. Oddly enough, to me she sounds a little restrained. Maybe the material suits her.

Syesha Mercado
Song: Vanishing
Gossip Girl says: Randy said she always sings the toughest song, and he thought she pulled it off. Paula said she has been extremely smart, she picked a song many people don't know, and she uses her voice well. Simon said technically it was very, very good indeed, but he questioned her choosing an unknown song.
I think: I gotta say she was the one I was dreading this week. She was aight, althought I don't care for the song, that appears to have three words, and one is "whoa-oa-oa-oa-oa."

Brooke White
Song: Hero
Gossip Girl says: Randy liked the "singer/songwriter look." Paula said she was authentic, and it was a brave thing to do. Both of them mentioned the off notes. Simon said she didn't have much choice, but it was like ordering a hamburger and just getting the bun. He said the vital ingredient was missing; she didn't have the voice to pull it off.
I think: She missed her own sister's wedding for this show. She is pretty restrained as well, which I have a feeling won't be popular with the judges. I, however, thought the song was as good as it could be this way.

Kristy Lee Cook
Song: Forever
Gossip Girl says: Randy didn't think it was amazing, but she definitely started stepping up toward the end. Paula said she is a very smart girl, and she was blown away. Simon said she was probably not happy it was Mariah week, and she didn't give him chills and it was whiny in parts.
I think: She can't believe she gave Mariah Carey goosebumps. I can't either. To me this is a big blank space in the evening, but it usually is.

David Cook
Song: Always Be My Baby
Gossip Girl says: Randy said he is the most ready to make an album, and he gave him a standing O. Paula said it could be to a movie soundtrack right now, and he's "it." Simon said it was like "coming out of karaoke hell and into the fresh air." He said it is the sign of a true artist.
I think: He sounds the most like a guy trying to sing Mariah Carey to me. He pulls it together by the end. And he seems the most like a real person this week, and he is overcome with emotion at hoe it went over.

Jason Castro
Song: I Don't Want to Cry
Gossip Girl says: Randy said he felt like he was at a weird beach luau (best comment of the night, although I disagree). Paula said she would love to be at that luau all night long (yow!). Simon said he agrees with Paula, it was unique and "the guys totally won the night."
I think: She said she hopes he uses the ideas she had for him. Wow, that is pretty cool. I thought he did great, because it was his version.

I actually thought David A. was the best.

No comments: