Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Top 10 Guys on Idol

Michael Johns
Song: Go Your Own Way
Judges? Randy said it was solid and he liked it. Paula said he has been consistent, and this was the same. Simon said it was the wrong song and his weakest performance.
I think: He showed some range here, but it got worse as it went along.

Jason Castro
Song: I Just Want To Be Your Everything
Judges? Randy said the whole package was all right but the singing was not great. Paula said it wasn't as bad as Randy heard it to be. Paula and Randy want to see him without the guitar, though. Simon thought the song was too schmaltzy, and he looked very uncomfortable.
I think: He made the song his own. I like this guy. (Dare I admit Andy Gibb was my first concert? I think I just did.)

Luke Menard
Song: Killer Queen
Judges? Randy said he picked a very difficult song and sang it well. Paula said she was glad he was better this week. Simon shushed the crowd, and said he chose the wrong song, which will always be unfavorably compared to the original.
I think: He did much better this week, and I don't mind that a bit, because he is quite nice to look at.

Robbie Carrico
Song: Hot Blooded
Judges? Randy said it didn't have enough "HUH!" because it was one of his favorite songs. Paula said it must make him crazy to be told he's not authentic, but he played it safe. Simon said Robbie shouldn't be defensive and he thought the vocal was OK tonight.
I think: As my husband said, "I'm not sure it's possible to make this song worse, but he's right there."

Danny Noriega
Song: Superstar
Judges? Randy said he overthought it and didn't use his vibrato well. Paula reminded Danny of his amazing vocal skill, but she agreed he overthought it. Simon said it was better, but he was trying so hard. Simon did say he is interesting, though.
I think: He is better than last week, doing a song I hate, no less. Remember when Chris Farley and David Spade sang this in "Tommy Boy"?

David Hernandez
Song: Papa Was a Rolling Stone
Judges? Randy said "this is the David Hernandez we fell in love with." Paula gave him a standing ovation. She said he has a pure voice and it was perfect. Simon said it was the best vocal of the night so far, and that David takes criticism well.
I think: What is it with the eyebrows, dude? It may not be fair, but I can't stand this douchebag. He is wearing a suit jacket over a hoodie. He should get voted off for that alone!

Jason Yaeger
Song: Long Train Runnin'
Judges? Randy said it was the wrong song and came off very karaoke. Paula said it was fun to see this side of him, but the song did not show his vocal range. Both said it was not a singer's song. Simon said last week was boring and this week was awkward and corny. Simon said he is a quite-good singer who can't perform.
I think: I don't like him.

Chikezie
Song: I Believe to My Soul
Judges? Randy said "Chikezie is back!" and "it was blazin'!" Paula said it was brilliant. Simon said the song choice was clever and it was a million times better than last week, then Chikezie insulted him so he decided he didn't like him again (hee).
I think: He was cool!

David Cook
Song: All Right Now
Judges? Randy said it was a smart choice of song and he was rockin'. Paula said he is the real deal. Simon said it was solid and believeable, but that his video, when he said he likes doing crosswords, didn't do him any favors.
I think: I like him better with the electric guitar, but listen to Simon. Crosswords? Bor-ing.

David Archuleta
Song: Imagine
Judges? Randy said it's about the young ones and this is one of the best vocals he's ever heard on the show. Paula said he is ridiculous and she wants to dangle him ... from her rearview mirror. She said it was one of the most moving performances she has ever seen. Simon said it was very risky, but it worked, he is the one to beat and "there are 19 very miserable contestants here now."
I think: He's probably technically the best singer of the boys, maybe of all, but it must be pointed out that he changed the words to a JOHN LENNON SONG!

Best of the night: Jason Castro, Luke, Chikezie, David A.

No comments: